Thursday, March 10, 2011

Coliseum Cafe, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman

People close to me know that I like history. Not that much these days. But very much during my school days.

I can talk about history for hours. I can bore you to death. I might amuse you with the stories too.

I also mastered the Tingkatan Tiga & Tingkatan Lima Sejarah's textbook.

What a boring kid I was. That's what happened when you sent your kid to a boarding school.


-------------------------


Back to my original intention of writing this entry.

One fine day (on weekdays), I went to KL all the way from Putrajaya.

After several attempts before, I managed to drag Boyfie to Coliseum Cafe at Jalan TAR. It was established in 1921. That was like before WWII :0

I first heard about this Cafe from my Fatso's cousins. Why we call us Fatso? Because we live to eat. 

#1 Hidup untuk Makan. #2 Makan untuk Hidup. We tried our best to follow Rule #2. But we always ended up with Rule #1. Pfft

The Fatso's said that the waitresses of the Cafe are old Chinese aunties.

Being a boring girl woman I am (since forever), I easily get excited on the idea of old Chinese aunties work in an ancient cafe as waitresses.




Next to Coliseum Theatre. Opposite Kamdar.



Fatso in action. Missing the other Fatso's.



Hunger in Disguise


To get the utmost antic feeling that goes along with the entire ambience, you are advised to put on Sherlock-Holmes-hat @ deerstalker like the Mat Salleh guy at my back. 
 
Service was fast. The waiter that served us named 'Captain Morgan'. He got a name tag like the one we always see on government servants. 

I read a review about the waiters' uniforms that looks like they had never been changed for years. And its true!



Captain Morgan


You can't really see the stains on his uniform especially at the front pocket area because of the quality of the pictures that I took. But I swear his shirt was full of food stains and he seemed that he doesn't give a damn about it. Or maybe he thinks he's cool.


We ordered Chicken Chop (RM16.90) and Baked Crab Meat (RM16.90). Captain Morgan offered us Bread and Butter and Boyfie thought it was complimentary. Hell, no! Hohoho.. Four pieces of bread and cold butter cost us maybe RM4.00++. Can't remember the exact price.



Chicken Chop


It was written in the menu that the Chicken Chop will be served with vegetable. I thought the 'vegetable' would be 'typical fresh garden salad' but it wasn't. It was minced vegetable (maybe spinach) that tasteless. Very Popeye-ish. Other than that, the Chicken Chop and the mushroom gravy taste just nice.


I didn't grow muscle like Popeye afterwards. Sad.


Obviously, you can get nicer and cheaper one in other places. Like _____________ and _____________. I forgot the name of the place. I'll blog later.






Boyfie was not happy with the Baked Crab Meat. It wasn't about the taste. It was because of the portion. He thought that it was OVERLY priced.

However, I thought the Baked Crab Meat that was served with mayonnaise, two slices of tomato and lettuce was delicious. But still cannot lawan the famous Crab Meat in Kemaman (can't remember the name of the place again!).


Not a single sight of Chinese aunties :(


I was tempted to try the grilled dish when looking at the waiter pouring the sauce next to the customer's table right before he served it to the them. The sizzling sound and smell made you feel like ordering more food. But I stopped looking at the waiter when I saw Boyfie's meaningful glare at me.


Old bar serving alcoholic drinks


I heard that they serve cheap alcoholic drinks. That's may be the reason why the Mat Sallehs like to go there.
Since I couldn't order any grilled dish anymore, I ordered Cream Caramel (RM4.00) while Boyfie was having 'desserts' of his own. Yes, there is a smoke-free area/bar where you can chill with friends after meal.





In my opinion, the Cafe has low maintenance. Basic maintenance will do. It seems that they maintain the same old furniture for years. The unique part of the Cafe was the frame hanging on its wall and other paraphernalia.

There were old cartoons by Lat, framed newspaper clippings dated 1950's and maps/books that has gone yellow in the bar that can make you feel you are in a different era while you are there.

 All these elements make the whole 'rustic/antic' ambiance works out effortlessly. The Cafe has the originality that Old Town or Kluang Station do not have. I believe the originality has made the loyal customers keep coming back.


-------------------------


I'm sure you know why I like this Cafe by now.

And I have one good reason to come back.

I'll definitely drop by again when I feel that the old Chinese aunties are on shift.


-------------------------

For more review

http://www.gourmetgarden.com.my/2009/01/06/coliseum-cafe-serving-old-school-hainanese-dishes-and-western-cuisine/
http://withinmeitzeu.blogspot.com/2011/01/coliseum-cafe-hotel-jalan-tar-jalan.html
http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/07/coliseum-cafe-kl-funny-quotes-and.html
http://eiling.blogspot.com/2009/06/coliseum-cafe.html 


5 comments:

  1. omg shifa ada blog!!!!

    anyway i can't deny about fatso rule #2 "makan untuk hidup" i suggest u another old restaurant, hotel heritage station nearby keretapi tanah melayu (near syariah court), if it's still open, i don't recommend the food though but if you're a sucker for the 1900's ambience why not

    p/s: jum lah meet up & catch up! much miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fatso! ok will check it out! yeah, lets meet like tak tau bila whenever sume orang free esp fatso no. 1 yg tgh kursus tu! aku pun nk amik baju yg aku beli dr kau tuh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks for linking to my post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meitzu, no prob! Thanks to you too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shifa ATC,

    Good day. Thanks for linking to our post and I hope that it did help you to decide to visit this "old" place.

    It seems that I can't see all those old uncles that we saw the last time we visited the place.

    ReplyDelete